Professional Sheffielder | Historian | Raconteur

Professional Sheffielder | Historian | Raconteur

Historical Sheffield Hillsborough Barracks
Hillsborough Barracks

Rons Words

"

Rons words needed

"

Did you Know?

Hillsborough Barracks is a name long associated with Wardsend Cemetery, its military connection is well established with more than 400 soldiers, wives and children buried there.
Hillsborough Barracks was built in
C. 1848
The barracks is divided into three terraces. The first (top) terrace faces on to what is now Langsett Road. This contained the Mess establishment, quarters for around 40 officers and a similar number of servants, and a chapel. This building has a length of about 354 feet (108 m) and a width and height of about 40 feet (12 m), is three storeys high and has a mixture of gothic and castellated styles. The other buildings of the barracks consisted of a large five-bedroomed house serving as the Garrison Commander’s Quarters outside the walls, a 58-patient two-storey hospital incorporating a barracks for RAMC personnel, a Dental Clinic and a facility for treating women, infantry soldiers' quarters, a clock tower building, with cavalry soldiers' quarters on the first floor and stabling for 260 horses on the ground floor (total accommodation for 918 NCO and other ranks).

Take a peek...