Professional Sheffielder | Historian | Raconteur

Professional Sheffielder | Historian | Raconteur

Historical Sheffield Hilltop Chapel
Hilltop Chapel

Rons Words

"

Still standing on a lonely and isolated hill top overlooking Attercliffe this almost forgotten early C17th chapel was built by the Bright family of nearby Carbrook Hall with its echo’s of Civil War and the shade of Col John Bright still looking over his old home. The chapel is a mysterious place with the graves of Benjamin Huntsman, inventor of crucible steel and the gentry of old Attercliffe.

"

Did you Know?

Hill Top Chapel was built in 1629 in Attercliffe by English Puritans committed to Reformed worship and teaching.
Hilltop Chapel was built in
C. 1629
Hill Top Chapel was built in 1629 in Attercliffe by English Puritans committed to Reformed worship and teaching. Their first minister was Stanley Gower, a man originally from Derbyshire, who was educated under Archbishop James Ussher in Armagh. Gower served as the founding minister of Hill Top Chapel from 1630-1635 until he was called to the pastorate in Herefordshire. From there he went on to be one of the delegates to the Westminster Assembly. Gower was involved in the composition of the Westminster Standards.

Take a peek...