Professional Sheffielder | Historian | Raconteur

Professional Sheffielder | Historian | Raconteur

Old Queens Head
Old Queen's Head

Rons Words

"

This pub is the oldest remaining domestic building in Sheffield. Located down by Sheffield Interchange, just off Sheaf street. The now Grade II listed building dates back to at least 1582, with building records as far back as 1475. Its original purpose is shrouded in mystery, it was once claimed to be the lodge for Sheffield Castle or its laundry but now regarded as a probable banqueting hall. Reputedly haunted and with a secret tunnel to the Manor Lodge. Very atmospheric after dark.

"

Did you Know?

The Queen in the pub's name is likely Mary, Queen of Scots, who was imprisoned in Sheffield from 1570 to 1584.
Old Queen's Head was built in
C.1475
The Old Queen's Head is a public house on Pond Hill in the City of Sheffield, England that occupies the oldest domestic building in the city. This timber framed building is thought to date from c.1475, although the earliest known written record of it is in an inventory compiled in 1582 of the estate of George Talbot, the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury that included the furnishings of this building, which was then called "The hawle at the Poandes".

Take a peek...